Do you know what your life path is? I am in my thirties and I have absolutely no idea what my path is. I am a mother and wife and that is part of my path but I feel like there is something missing and I'm not quite sure what it is. Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine my life without my husband and kids...I just feel like something is missing.
As a teenager, I wanted to be many things...a doctor, nurse, lawyer, teacher, President of the United States, social worker, and a nun-I had big dreams for myself as you can see :) I graduated from high school and felt very overwhelmed. I have been out of high school now for eighteen years and I still don't know what I want for my life.
When we moved to Colorado we became foster parents. We fostered for four years. We went from three children to six children (I should mention this isn't typical for most foster parents) and knew that that path was closing for us and fostering wasn't what was right for our family anymore. I have felt a tremendous loss in the last year from that chapter closing. I thought my family would foster for quite a few years. I wish we could have made a bigger impact than we made.
I felt like once our home was closed, we were of no use to our agency anymore. I feel like I could be helpful to other foster families still even though my journey was short. I do feel like my path will lead me back to the world of foster care at some point but I'm not sure how yet.
I reflect on all of this from time to time, partly because my oldest is in high school and we talk about things of interest to her and her aspirations for her future. I can see it in her eyes that she is like I was and is unsure what she wants to do. I have seen how overwhelming it is for her because she has friends who have a very clear vision of what they want. I have tried to encourage her and remind her that at her age, she doesn't have to have it all figured out yet.
Does anyone else wonder what their purpose is or feel like they are just plugging along day by day? I surely can't be the only one, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment