This school year so far has been going really well for my kids. Everyone has great teachers and it's just a much better feel compared to last year. I guess for today, I want to focus on Emilie though.
Emilie is our quieter child who can take a little longer to open up and be chatty but she is fun and has lots to say once you get to know her! Every year is hard for her. The beginning and the end are the two days of school I always dread the most. She cries and as she gets older, I feel bad because it is hard enough being the quiet kid but then add crying and, well, let's face it, kids can be mean and I don't want there to be anymore reason for her to be teased or made fun of.
She has a few select friends that she has really bonded with and of course this year none of them are in her classes. This is good and bad. It forces her to try and make new friends which is good but bad. Thankfully her Literacy teacher took her under her wing and can see what I see and I am so very thankful for that!! However, her science teacher is really another story. The first thing that came out of her mouth was Emilie is too quiet and really needs to open up. I have to say, I am quite sick of people, teachers and anyone for that matter saying that to me about my daughter. I have heard it every school year and it really has gotten old. Why can't they be thankful to have a child who listens to the rules, is respectful of others?
Natalie and Kodie are the complete opposite. Last year Natalie was constantly in trouble for talking and it was always on her report card that she talked too much and needed to work on that. So as a parent, I feel like a teacher should be grateful for the Emilie's in the world :)
Anyway, Emilie had a science fair last week and we walked in the school and I was approached by a group of girls who were oohing and awing over our foster baby...she is a real hit wherever we go! They wanted to know whose mom I was and I told them. All they had to say was they knew her and that she is so quiet and won't talk to people. So now I am hearing this from adults and kids and it makes me think if this is being said in front of Emilie, how is this supposed to make her feel?
I always defend her and always will. Others may not be appreciative of a quieter child but I sure am!!
No comments:
Post a Comment