I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this before but it is something I am really struggling with right now. We have a placement right now of an infant. She is the sweetest baby and so easy. I knew when we decided to continue our foster care license that it wouldn't be easy saying goodbye to children placed with us...what I did not realize was just how quickly I would bond with each one.
Our current placement is our fourth placement. Each previous placement last a matter of four-five days because they were reunified with their family or placed in another foster home. Even though we had them for such a short amount of time, I still found it difficult to say goodbye. Our current placement though, we've had for 2 1/2 months. I honestly did not think we'd have her this long and we will more then likely have her for a few more months.
I can't really get into specifics and sometimes that makes it hard too because so much is confidential and I know people ask questions because they are curious and want to be supportive but when we can't answer many questions, I know it must make it a little hard for our support system to feel like they are able to help support us.
I love this little baby though. I try and keep the mindset that she is going home because that is where she belongs but the longer we have her, the harder that mindset is to keep some days. Regardless of how hard this can be, it is very rewarding and I am happy that we can provide a home to a child in need. I think with this placement, I will grieve a little bit more and I need to remind myself that that is completely normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment