
Have you ever thought about protesting in front of the Capitol? I have...I wish I had the skills to organize a protest. I saw on the news this morning that George Clooney had been arrested for protesting at the Sudanese Embassy. I think what he is doing to bring awareness to the terrible atrocities taking place in Sudan is wonderful!
In 2006 I believe, I became aware of the genocide taking place in Darfur. I have signed petitions and written letters to our elected officials asking for their support to bring awareness to what is taking place there. In school, like every other student out there, I learned about the Holocaust. This time in history had a great impact on me. The words, "Never Again" had a great impact on me.
So, when I learned about what was happening in Darfur, that there was another genocide happening and very few people knew about it, it hit me at my core. I knew personally, that I could not sit by and hear these stories and sit idly by. There are many causes out there that I feel passionately about and this is one of them.
I hope one day when my kids are older, to show them how to protest peacefully. I believe it's important to help show them how our government works...they are currently learning about the different branches of the government and thankfully they find it fascinating!
Hopefully I can do my part to spread the word...because we should never again sit idly by and let mass atrocities happen anywhere in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment