Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

We had a visit today with our social worker. Steve and I...and I should include the kids (specifically the girls) are interested in continuing foster care beyond Ethan's placement with us. Today we spoke about how many children we are willing to foster, the ages we are willing to foster and the needs we think we could handle.

It's a lot to think about...it's hard to not say we want a baby. Who wouldn't right?!? The stories I hear of older children in foster care scare me a little. I believe in every child though, there is good. It may be hard to reach it, to find it but it is there. But knowing how much harder it can be with older children, it makes saying yes to a baby that much easier. We are leaning towards infants through age 10/11 though. I don't feel prepared to take any teens since we have yet to parent one yet.

We were asked how comfortable we would be working with birth parents. I look back to our experience with Ethan and I remember it was awkward at times. We are willing to do it though...I would hope to be able to build some sort of relationship that could be maintained after any child placed with us that is then reunified with their parents. Foster care is ultimately all about reunification if possible.

I have to admit, I am getting really excited that starting next month, we could potentially have a child placed with us. I will always have a sense of sadness for every child pulled from their family but hopefully we can be there in their time of need.

1 comment: