Today after church, someone who is an outreach worker with Colorado Coalition for the Homeless did a brief talk on the Catholic Social Teaching and how it applies to homelessness. He also spoke about the recent bill that passed here in Denver that basically criminalizes homelessness...if you ask the mayor he would disagree with that statement. He does not feel that by giving a homeless person a ticket or putting them in jail for sleeping on the street would be criminalizing the homeless...I just happen to disagree with him.
Anyway, it was a great talk and interesting to listen to. I believe those that know me know how important this topic is to me. There was discussion about whether our church could open its doors at night and offer a bed or give relief to other churches that might offer a bed to the homeless.
One thing that has surprised me about foster care is how many children taken into care have a parent or parents that are homeless or on the brink of homelessness. Once their children are taken into care, it's hard to get them back. While I understand there are various reasons for this, I find it very sad that a child can be homeless living in a homeless shelter but the state will not take said child from the parents but once the child is brought into state care, the parent needs housing and that cannot be a homeless shelter.
I hope one day to be able to volunteer time at a soup kitchen or shelter...or maybe even be an outreach worker. I just know how easy it is for anyone of us to be that close to being homeless...some more then others.
No comments:
Post a Comment