Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Parenting...

Where do I even begin...do you ever wonder if you are a good parent or if the choices you are making are the right one? I suppose whether you are a parent or not, you might wonder if you are making the right choices...I know I did before I had kids. I guess that's part of being a human being.

I have had this dilemma of homeschooling for years. Before I had kids, I wanted to homeschool them. Steve and I did not completely agree so we did public school or rather we put them in Catholic school and then we moved to Germany so they went to public school (DODDS). I have always felt a tugging to homeschool though. Last year the girls went to three different schools because of all our moving around with Steve retiring. When we got to Colorado we rented an apartment in one school district and then had a house built in a different school district...which meant a new school yet again. I had made the decision though to give this new school a fair shot before making any decisions about homeschooling. This school is supposed to be one of the best in the district and it's brand new and new concept so there is a lot of promise I believe.

I feel like there has just been one thing after another that has just left me feeling frustrated though. For some people, it may not seem like a problem or big deal but I guess when things just continue to add up, it's hard to not want to just quit.

My girls are wonderful...Natalie and Kodie are very outgoing and make friends easily. Emilie on the other hand is very quiet and can take awhile to feel comfortable in a new setting but once she does she is very outgoing too. Emilie has struggled more than the other two this year. She's had a harder time making friends and has had some hurtful comments said to her.

Last week she came home crying because an older student (sixth grade) told her she stunk at basketball. I know, I know, it shouldn't be that big of a deal but I think any comment that belittles someone or makes them feel inferior is unacceptable. I know that kids are learning and will say things that they may not realize are hurtful. What are we supposed to do as parents though...act like it's no big deal or fight and make sure our kids feel safe a secure?

I talked to Emilie and just tried to reassure her that the student probably didn't mean to hurt her feelings but all that mattered was that she was trying her hardest. I emailed her teacher and was left feeling like because it didn't happen in his classroom it wasn't his problem and that I needed to speak directly to the PE teacher...which is fine but being he is her classroom teacher, I guess I was expecting a little more. I emailed the PE teacher and we've had a few emails back and forth. I am now left feeling like no one really cares and am so unsure of what to do. We will meet in person to discuss this though...sometimes email just seems like you lose so much in the translation.

My first inclination is to pull her from school and just homeschool her. The level headed part of me though knows that won't solve the problem. It's hard though too because at first Emilie was excited at the thought of being home schooled but has now had a change of heart.

That's where my dilemma is...I'm worried I'll make the wrong choice. Ultimately, it's not her choice but I do value her opinion. I know she'll be mad and upset at first but she can't see the bigger picture. I want to protect her but also want her to experience life and learn from it.

So here I am just going back and forth trying to figure out the right thing to do hoping and praying that the choices we make in our family don't totally screw up our kids!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know that you are asking for others opinions, but heres mine.
    Please ignore otherwise =) I agree fully, a lot gets lost in translation when it comes to posts and emails, and I always dread too that something is taken the wrong way. I think your a GREAT mom.

    I would base the decision entirely on the quality of their education, and how your children learn best. Also factoring in your faith.
    The harrassment sucks, but it is a teachable thing. Learning how to deal with people like that will only help her down the road. (However of course if it was serious ongoing bullying, that might call for more drastic measures. Its all circumstantial.)
    Really help her through the feelings, and bring your faith into it, and teach her how to react or not react. (you might be doing this, no judgment here, just ideas, especially as many adults these days, don't have this skill down pat)

    It also might help you decide by getting more opinions from adults that were home schooled. I have a friend that just excelled with it, but has the opinion it was just the wrong thing for her little sister. She based it on the fact her sister just wasn't the self motivated type, and would have done better with more structure. Your kids are a lot younger though, so that might be a factor that is still teachable?
    Good luck with your choice =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Angela...opinions are more than welcome :) I do think there needs to be lots of structure for homeschooling because I can see how easily it would be to slack and then get out of the habit of the school work and it end up being a huge disaster. Sometimes I wish I had a crystal ball to look into for the answers...I know it doesn't work like that and even then, I'm sure it probably wouldn't make life really that much easier.

    We do definitely talk about the right response when someone says something hurtful. It's something we started when they were really little...telling the other how it made them feel when the other was mean. We are just trying to teach them to be accepting of everyone and embracing them for who they are because they are all different and unique :)

    Anyway, thanks for the kind words...and your advice. Advice can be very helpful I think!!

    ReplyDelete