Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Getting healthy

I like to watch the Biggest Loser each season. Some seasons are better than others I think. This season the theme is "No Excuses" I like that idea! Because let's face it, sometimes it's pretty easy to come up with excuses to not work out or to get take out for dinner because it's more convenient.

I have struggled with my weight for quite awhile. It really did not become a problem though until after I got out of high school and had a family. I wasn't thin in high school but I also was not over weight...although a doctor wanted me to think so when I weighed about 5 pounds more than the recommendation for my height. Honestly, to be told that, it hurt my self-esteem but I didn't really realize it at the time. It's something in the last few years that I've realized had a impact on my perception of myself.

I am overweight and it's a hard thing to admit. For now, I am in good health aside from being overweight but I know all too well that it can change for the worse quickly. I go through spurts where I do really well and wake up early to work out, eat more healthy and cut out sugar for the most part and then something happens and I am back to my old ways of not getting up to work out. I make excuse and do not make myself a priority.

I have friends who are naturally very thin and have good genes that help them and I have friends who are like me who struggle. I wish I had good genes on my side. I wish it was easier to lose the weight because it sure was easy to put it on!

A lot of my family struggles with their weight and I don't want to see my kids have the same problem. In our family, we talk about being healthy. I do not want the girls ever thinking they are fat. I think they are far from it. They do not have to be a size zero to be pretty but in this media obsessed society, if you aren't a size zero then the perception is you are not. I want them to be proud of themselves for who they are and not for what they look like.

It's hard to set a good example and I do try. I have stopped having pop in the house and drink more water or tea now. We eat out less often and the next big step is going to be making a commitment to working out again. I wish I had a friend here who could go to the gym with me. I used to go years and years ago before work and it made me feel really good afterwards.

I've just let so much get in the way and I've lost sight of myself and making myself a priority. I want take that all back so I can be around for a long, long time.

1 comment:

  1. You might talk with Tina more about this, she lost 30 pounds last year then some awful life-things happened and she lost motivation. She wants to start up again, so maybe you two could help motivate each other :)

    ReplyDelete