I worry that I would not be able to stick with it. I worry that I am not smart enough because let's face it, everything is taught differently now than it was when we were in school. I often wonder if it would be easier to do if I had a support system here of other parents who also home schooled. And I think the hardest part could just be getting started.
Everyone seems to home school for different reasons. For me, it's appealing because I don't feel the education system is as great as it could be. There is less funding going towards education these days and as a result staffing is smaller, class sizes are bigger and there are less programs offered.
My girls seem to be the ones who get caught in the middle. They are not the kids who excel and are above grade level but they are not behind enough to not be on grade level. There are some areas they struggle with more than others. There used to be programs to help kids who struggled but because of lack of funding most schools do not have them and if they do, they are only offered for kids who are not on grade level.
I also feel class sizes are way too big now. At the school they are currently going to, there are 28 students per class. I have a lot of respect for teachers because I cannot imagine trying to teach a class that big with less resources every year but I have to wonder are students now getting the best education possible and enough one-on-one help? We have had some wonderful teachers and we've had some teachers unfortunately who were either just not the right fit or really should probably not be teaching.
Anyway, it's something I still ponder about often and eventually I really need to figure all this out.
I have pondered this too.
ReplyDelete