Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Insurance: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

I am not a fan of insurance. I am thankful to have it. I am thankful that it helps my family and me be able to get medical care. That would be the good when it comes to insurance. What I don't like, what I see as the bad are the rules that can be hard to understand. The cost to have insurance...even though I know the cost of not having it is actually much worse. Insurance doesn't cover everything though. Depending on what insurance you have, you may get great coverage or you may not.

Then there is the ugly side of insurance. The side that you don't often hear about unless you are dealing with something bad. My dad was flown on a medical flight from Alaska to Oregon because the hospital in Alaska could not meet his needs...so insurance covered it because it was a medical necessity. Great right? You'd think this is the good...and it is but what they are now dealing with is the ugly part of insurance.

My dad is in no shape to fly commercial but insurance will not pay for another medical flight because their feeling is they got him somewhere better and they don't pay to get someone home. The problem is my dad is terminal. My dad has stage 4 colon cancer. It has spread everywhere. He is now dealing with clots that are being controlled with blood thinners. He has fluid building up in his lungs. He is losing weight because he is not eating and drinking very, very little. His heart is struggling because of the stress his body is under. My dad is dying. My dad would like to get home to Alaska and be as comfortable as possible at this point. My dad should not have to die in Oregon because of a rule with insurance.

My mom has made calls trying to find a way to get him home if insurance still denies this next week. The hospital he is at right now is going to try to go further up the ladder on Monday. Lots of people are praying. Lots of people are googling and trying to figure something out. Steve made a couple of calls today and had no luck. We found one company that can get him home but it will cost more than $20,000 and that is not an option for my parents at this point. I know God will provide somehow...not sure how but I am trying to not worry about that.

This morning I was feeling very angry about this. I don't like feeling angry and thankfully it passed. It is just so sad and frustrating that this is happening. My dad is a Vietnam Veteran and I feel like he deserves more than this after serving his country.

Please, I ask you to share this post if you feel called. Maybe someone reading this will know how to help my parents. Thank you all for your continued prayer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment