Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Remembering some good times

I have been looking through photos to email to my mom of my dad and my kids. She is hoping to do a video with lots of photos. I haven't found many but the ones I have, I will treasure for sure. I was also going through all of my music trying to see if I had any music that she likes that could be added to the video. I have to wonder, is it strange that at the age of 32, I already know what music I want played at my funeral?? I don't know many people that think about that stuff...I mean, I don't know what I want but I do know what music I want.

After I had Emilie, I had a couple years of dealing with abnormal pap smears and there was always a fear in the back of my head that it could turn cancerous and that lead me to think about certain things like funerals. Obviously everything turned out fine and I am grateful for that. I don't necessarily like talking about death but I am finding I am doing it a lot more lately because of my dad and what he is going through right now.

I am hearing a lot more stories about people dying from colon cancer. It makes me so sad because it is totally preventable if you get the recommended screenings done. I wish my dad had...I have felt angry that he didn't but that anger won't change a thing. I have learned to let it go. It won't help him. It won't help me. It won't help anyone at this point. I am going to use it as a teachable moment for me though.

I am realizing that as the days pass by, it is just getting that much closer to my dad's passing. I don't know how anyone prepares for things like this. Can you really prepare for the passing of a loved one?


Emilie and my dad on our first trip to Alaska while living in Japan

The girls with my dad shortly after Kodie was born...and yes, Kodie is screaming :)


All the cousins (at least all of them from back in 2007) with grandma and grandpa


My dad, mom, Emilie and Eric in Prague, Czech Republic


Dad resting in our hotel in Prague


Steve, dad and Eric in Rothenburg, Germany


Group shot


Enjoying lunch at a German restaurant with GREAT potato soup!!



No comments:

Post a Comment